Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Gas Prices...GAH!

When I went to Oman earlier this month, it cost me about $1,400 USD to get all the way from Dallas to Salalah.  I just checked the prices for July, and it's gone up to about $2,100 USD.  I understand supply and demand.  People are crying "Oooh!  We can't use Iran's oil!  Scary, scary!"  Guess what, people.  The U.S. hasn't used Iran's oil in ages.  We buy elsewhere and a shortage from Iran doesn't affect us in the slightest.  Does that matter?  Nope!  An empty threat = jacked up gas prices = excessive surcharges on flights.  Not that the airlines are blameless.  The "taxes and surcharges" for the flight overseas are generally more than the cost of the ticket itself.  Don't get me started on baggage fees.  I'm now the world's best carry-on packer.



These oil speculators are the worst manner of "the sky is falling" people I've ever seen.  I wonder if these are the same people that are featured in the NatGeo Doomsday Preppers series.  I watch because I am fascinated at the level of paranoia that feeds this mentality.  Is it good to keep a little extra water and food around the house in case of an extended power outage?  Sure.  Do I need a years worth?  Probably not.  I'd be dead from the Texas heat and the whining children before I made it that long.  Actually, I hope to be living overseas by then.  That might be the best way to avoid the end-of-the-world crazies.

No comments:

Post a Comment