Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Call This A Delayed Post

I went to Dubai last year to visit my OCONUS husband.  I'd like to say that I was smart enough to start my travel / photog blog way back then, but I wasn't.

So, here's what I learned:
  • The Middle East is not nearly as scary as the US media would have you believe and they're not all out to get us.
  • The women that I met do not seem at all repressed or abused.  Yes, they wear an abaya, but not because they are forced to by their crazy husbands.  They wear it because their religious beliefs require it.  Just like your religious beliefs might require that you not dress like Lindsey Lohan when you go to church.  There's really no difference.
  • If I could wear an abaya, I would.  They are absolutely gorgeous.  I also think I might be totally liberated and free to be me if I didn't have to worry about how fat I look in the ridiculous fashions we wear in the west.
  • Dubai is very modern and (with the exception of the incredible heat) it is similar to any major city in the US.   This is the view from the observation deck of the Burj Khalifa.

  • The malls are insane.  1200+ stores.  We went there 3 or 4 times and I'm pretty sure we still didn't see it all.  Here is a very, very small piece of The Dubai Mall.

  • The camels are adorable.  I wish I had my camera out when we saw them walking down the trails next to the freeway.  Next time, I'll be prepared.  In the mean time, here's a nice camel sculpture pic from the mall.

  • Everything you've read about the madness of driving in Dubai is true.  It was easier to close my eyes while my husband drove than to keep slamming my hands into the dash and my feet into the floor.  I have an international driver's license.  I sincerely hope I never have cause to use it over there.
  • The hookah might be the greatest invention ever.  The Double Apple flavor tobacco is like inhaling dessert without the calories.  I've never been a smoker, so I was reluctant to try the hookah, but I'm so happy I did.  I envy my husband getting to enjoy one whenever he wants.

I wish that every American could travel to the Middle East at least once in their lifetime.  I didn't realize how truly biased the US media machine really was until I saw the place with my own eyes.  I'm heading back over there in two days.  This time we are going to Oman.  I promise that I'll remember to post about my adventures after this trip.  There WILL be camel pics.

No comments:

Post a Comment